STEPS TO CURB RAGGING IN CBIT
Even though the incident of ragging is not reported in CBIT since inception, as a precautionary measure the following steps are practiced;
- Anti ragging undertakings in the form of affidavits are taken, duly signed by students & parents.
- Anti-ragging committee, Anti ragging squad and Mentoring cell are formed with roles & responsibilities as defined by AICTE.
- Information to students regarding what constitutes ragging, punishments & penalties for ragging, names & contact numbers of anti ragging committee and anti ragging squad is provided in College Management System and college website.
- Anonymous surveys among fresher’s to know whether the campus is free from ragging are conducted.
- Posters with anti ragging slogans and sign-boards are displayed in college campus and hostels at prominent places to create awareness among the students.
- Complaint box in college campus and hostels is provided for freshers to drop their grievances.
WHAT CONSTITUTES RAGGING?
- Ragging constitutes one or more of the following acts as per AICTE Notification dated 01-07-2009:
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student;
- Indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student;
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student;
- Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher;
- Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students;
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, posts, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student;
- Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN AGAINST STUDENTS
Actions to be taken against students for indulging and abetting ragging in technical institutions, Universities including, Deemed to be University imparting technical education as per AICTE Notification dated 01-07-2009:-
1. The punishment to be meted out to the persons indulged in ragging has to be exemplary and justifiably harsh to act as a deterrent against recurrence of such incidents.
2. Every single incident of ragging a First Information Report (FIR) must be filed without exception by the institutional authorities with the local police authorities.
3. The Anti-Ragging Committee of the institution shall take an appropriate decision, with regard to punishment or otherwise, depending on the facts of each incident of ragging and nature and gravity of the incident of ragging.
4 a) Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging at the institution level shall be any one or any combination of the following:-
Cancellation of admission
- Suspension from attending classes
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/expulsion from the hostel
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution.
- Collective punishment: when the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
b) An appeal against the order of punishment by the Anti-Ragging Committee shall lie,
- In case of an order of an institution, affiliated to or constituent part, of the University, to the Vice-Chancellor of the University;
- In case of an order of a University, to its Chancellor.
- In case of an institution of national importance created by an Act of Parliament, to the Chairman or Chancellor of the institution, as the case may be.
5. The institutional authorities shall intimate the incidents of ragging occurred in their premises along with actions taken to the Council form time to time
COMPLAINT REGISTRATION FOR INCIDENCE OF RAGGING
In case of the incident of ragging a Fresher /any student can register a complaint
With any member of Anti ragging committee / Anti ragging squad / chairman of Mentoring Cell (Mobile numbers provided). In Complaint Box specially meant for Fresher’s in hostels or college campus (wardens/convener of anti ragging squad will regularly check the complaint box).